Friday, May 6, 2011

Keep moving

What a day!! Boxing Class and Indian food!!

Yeah, I went to Boxing Class tonight...that makes 3 work-outs this week, in case you were counting. That means I've made my goal for week! It does not mean that I can sit on my ass until Monday. Here's the thing, when I'm living my life 'right', I'm eating healthy AND exercise regularly. As you know, I don't always have the time to work-out every day. It's too bad really. Work-outs can be very social for me, they can also be meditative. Have you ever gotten on the elliptical or treadmill and you just focus on where your feet are, your breathing, your sweating, your abs, your body? That can be meditation. That time to clear the mind and to let go of the day can give serenity. With a quiet mind, I am much better equipped to be a pleasant person in all areas of my life.

Here's the thing, being healthy isn't just about eating nutritious foods. It's about so much more. It's getting some exercise and quieting our mind. It's about finding some joy in our daily lives. Many of my friends have very interesting hobbies that give them joy. Lately, mine has been watching the earth come back to life after a long winter slumber. Seeing the leaves come back to the trees, the flowers in bloom, the baby animals running around the park! This gives me joy.

But how do we get more exercise? Sometimes our hobbies are active. What if they're not? Amazingly, some of the healthier people of the world don't get much more exercise that you or I. What they do do, is they stay in motion when not exercising. They fidget, they take the stairs, they walk to talk to their co-workers rather than calling or e-mailing, they get off the bus a stop or two early and walk to work, they go for a walk at lunch or in the evening, they park far from the entrance and walk through the parking lot, and they just keep moving. So, I've gotten three work-outs this week. I've met my goal, but now, it's time to keep moving! What are you going to do to keep moving??




Remember how I said that today would be an eating out day because of my kitchen? Well, here's my breakfast--scrambled eggs, sausage and some potatoes mixed with sweet potatoes and fresh fruit.








For lunch, a large salad from Fresh City with balsamic vinaigrette, a cup of mushroom barley soup and a roll.











Mmmm, Indian take out....Madras curry and chicken, gobi, rice and garlic naan. Sooooooo good and so spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment