Thursday, June 23, 2011

I'm qualified

I report what I eat to all of you. Some of my friends report what they eat to me. T, you're not the only one! And I LOVE that my friends do this. Today, one of them said that she was using me in the absence of a nutritionist. This got me thinking. I'm not a nutritionist, have never claimed to be, so what gives me the right to make suggestions about what other people should eat?? Well, I've been seeing a nutritionist for over three years now. I think I've learned a thing or two. I've read a whole bunch of books about what people should eat and I don't buy into any extreme ways of eating...I also don't believe in 'dieting'. A food plan is a way of life, a diet is temporary.

And here's why I think I'm qualified to make suggestions on what people should eat: I realize that the human race has been around for a whole heck of a lot longer than processed food. And before processed food, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol were not health epidemics. Processed food, if I remember correctly, did not come into existence until the Industrial Revolution...white flour. Damned white flour started it all. Even if I'm not 100% accurate, the idea is right. See, humans had to be around for a loooooooooong time to become technologically advanced enough to break corn and soy down into unrecognizable parts and then put them into every 'food' out there! And the human race is older than Ho-Ho's, Ding Dong's, Cheetohs, Oreos and Go-gurt. We had to eat something before these delicious monstrosities were invented!

My beliefs around food make me uniquely qualified to suggest what other people should eat. And I keep it simple. I won't suggest cutting out any food completely. I will suggest absolutely minimal amounts of processed foods and I may spit on you if you tell me that you still eat McDonalds. But I won't tell you to completely cut either out of your food plan. I will suggest that you, instead, eat lots and lots of veggies. I will suggest that you eat whole grains, that you eat minimal amounts of sugar and next to no sugar substitutes. I will suggest that you keep carbs to a minimum and include mainly healthy fats. I will suggest that you take a multi-vitamin. I will suggest that you combine exercise with your food plan.

So, yeah, I'm qualified.



Yummy Uncle Sam cereal, berries, skim milk, eggs, some beans and a skim milk latte.











I tried something a little new....a turkey sandwich at Panera!



I had an orange after lunch.








Salad for dinner!












Nachos for a snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment