Monday, April 18, 2011

What I learned today...

Today was the Boston Marathon, my favorite sporting event!! Unfortunately, I missed it this year because of a hair appointment. My hair appointments last about 4 1/2 hours. Yes, really. You see, I'm not really a blonde and it takes a LONG time to become one. Anyway, I had lunch with my hairdresser today. He was eating a bowl of Grape Nuts when our local mailman came in. The mailman, Jim, was teasing my hairdresser, Frank, about how that cereal will go right through him because there's 7 grams of fiber per serving. I, of course, had to impress him with the fact that my cereal has 10 grams of fiber per serving...almost half of my recommended daily intake. Well, then we launched into a short discussion of how our food 'stays' with us for at least 20 hours...

Anyway...I was reading today that agave syrup is just as bad as high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). Now, this kinda makes sense to me. I mean, really, did we honestly think that the same plant that gives us tequila could also be the source of something good for us?? I mean, sure, tequila has been helping ugly people get laid for generations, but it's really not good for much else.

HFCS is about 55% fructose (the pure stuff) and the rest is your basic sugar (OK, maybe not that simple, but you get the point). Well, it turns out that agave syrup (sometimes called agave nectar), is 56% - 92% fructose after it's processed. Hmm. And did you know that fructose is processed by our bodies in our livers?? I don't know about yours, but my liver worked overtime for far too long. He's tired and he needs a rest. What's worse? Did you know that because it's processed in the liver, fructose becomes stored body fat really fast? When I say really fast, I actually mean immediately. However, if anyone every tries to sell you on fructose having a low glycemic index, this is why. It never becomes blood sugar because it immediately becomes fat. YUCK! Guess I'll be avoiding that yummy coconut milk 'ice cream'. Bummer.




Mmmm, banana! And yes, coffee made at home













Pretty standard salad while waiting for my hair to miraculously turn blonde




Mmmmm, fresh pineapple for a dessert!











Oops! I did it again....












Yet again, I'm using a 'stock' photo...I had a large greek salad and onion soup from Panera with a piece of french baguette. However, I did not have an iced tea, nor did I have the bagel chips and cheese on my soup.

Yeah, and 2 bags of popcorn tonight. Do you think there's a 12 step program to get off the popcorn??

No comments:

Post a Comment