Tuesday, April 19, 2011

There's never enough time

Do you ever feel like you have too much to do and not enough time to do it?? Welcome to my day. I had hoped to get so much done. I should know by now, that someone or something 'out there' has different plans for me. No, I'm not religious, but I know that I don't control everything. Afterall, I've tried to stop a wave in the ocean. What more proof do I need that I can't control everything? You catch my drift. Anyway, my day didn't go as planned. Here's the crappy part about this, I'm a planner. Yup! I'm a planner and a control freak. Don't all freak out on me at once, I know it's a shocker.

When things don't go according to plan, I feel stressed. Right now, I have a couple of deadlines on the horizon that are cranking that stress up to 11. And no, I've never seen the movie. I have some work deadlines and some school deadlines. See, I'm just one of those people who get worked up easily. I don't know why, I just am. You know how some people just seem to be able to go with the flow, no matter what happens they don't break a sweat? Yeah, that's just not me. Never has been.

Today was kinda strange, but not unprecedented. I was busy busy busy working away at the grindstone that is my cushy desk job. The weather outside my two gi-normous office windows was crappy. There were no birds flitting around in the trees and singing. As someone else wrote today, it was craptastic. Ok, so working away, fingers to the bone kinda thing and I forget to eat. I'm insanely aware of how hungry I am, but the phone doesn't stop ringing, the e-mails keep coming and there's this HUGE stack of neon pink files on my desk! No, really, neon pink files. Ok, so I don't feel like I can stop and I'm getting hungrier and hungrier. All of a sudden, I'm dying for a slice of pizza and a moist slice of chocolate cake with dark chocolate frosting. Hmmmm....

What do you think I did?? I fell back on my plan and pulled out the salad that I had made for lunch. I planned to get some chicken for protein from the cafeteria and also decided on a little bit of italian dressing or olive oil. Imagine my dismay when there was no chicken today. Did I ever mention that a normal response for me at this point is crying and that I had already gone there before heading down to the cafeteria? Anyway, I surveyed the options...and went with some white beans, shredded mozzarella and about a tablespoon of creamy italian dressing. Not bad choices when under stress. Luckily the pizza looked particularly bad today!

Amazingly, after taking a little time to eat this afternoon, I felt better! See, I don't know about you, but when my blood sugar drops like it did today, I get cranky. That's just the best way to  describe it. Cranky. So, after eating, my day got better! Have you ever noticed how food makes everything better??



I was soooooo excited when I saw fresh raspberries in the cafeteria this morning!!!












I did manage to have a snack around noon...












Wonderful healthy salad!!!! See the beans and cheese??











Shhhh, don't tell anyone that I ate leftovers...

...or popcorn. Good news, I have no more popcorn in the house. Now, to just not buy more, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment