Saturday, December 3, 2011

Skinny mirrors and skills

Well, I got my fat butt to the gym today. Nah, I'm not really putting myself down, but I kinda am. See, the mirrors in the locker room at the gym are, how shall I put it, NOT FLATTERING. You know how you go to a store dressing room and they have 'skinny mirrors'? Well, I sincerely hope that my gym has 'fat mirrors'. I put on my spandex and winced at the image I saw. I haven't had that reaction to my body in a long long time. There it is...time to buckle down and get to the business of burning belly fat!

And luckily, my semester is winding down. Two more weeks. This upcoming week has the potential to be a tough one, but I think I'll survive it. This weekend, I'm working on a Career Workbook for a class. It's tough. It's a ton of self-examination. Normally, I'm all for self-examination...but this stuff is really difficult. There's this feedback that we had to request and then we have to talk about what was surprising and what wasn't. Really, there's not a lot that was surprising, but a few things were. Now, I don't know who gave what feedback...nor do I know who responded unless they told me that they did it. What I do know is that I asked one friend, my co-workers, and my classmates that I have done group projects with.

Some of the feedback has been pretty difficult to receive. Not because it's negative, but because it's not how I see myself. For some skills, I scored myself higher, for most I scored myself lower. There were three particular skills (out of 41) that I scored myself higher and it hurts to know that others don't perceive me as being as strong in these areas as I think I am. It hurts because these particular skills have become part of my identity. If I'm not as good as I think I am, then am I who I think I am?? You see what I mean?

I'm going to let this feedback sink in...and see how I feel about it in a few days. However, I think that the areas where other people scored me lower than I scored myself are some places where I can focus for improvement. So, if you are reading this and you gave me feedback for my class, thank you! Thank you for becoming part of my growth process more than you already are. I may not like it right now, but I am grateful for the opportunity to receive feedback from people whom I admire and respect.

 12/3/11

pumpkin ice cream pie with candied pecan crumble

chicken, broccoli, and orzo with tomatoes, black olives and romano cheese

I had to do some work for this snack! Almonds, walnuts, brazil nuts and hazelnuts
 salad

Eggs with a little cheese and salsa, berries and cinnamon raisin toast with butter. Any day that starts with 'the good china' is a good day in my book! I should just start eating from my holiday dishes year round...

No comments:

Post a Comment