Sunday, September 18, 2011

More powerful than an elephant

What a weekend!! I did so much and STILL managed to get my homework done.

On Saturday, I had a great conversation with a friend of mine. She struggles with eating sugar, kinda like me. She and I have different goals, but we have the same struggles. I was telling her about the Rider and the Elephant and how reading about them for school resonated with me in regards to my eating. I asked her how she dealt with sugar cravings and how she stayed away from sugar long term. The answer did not surprise me, but it may surprise you. Spirituality. Yup. She said that she asked for help from her God through both prayer and meditation.

Now, I'm not going to tell anyone to start praying for healthier eating or weight loss, but think about it for a minute. I know that my Rider gets exhausted and can no longer control my Elephant. I know that I need help that's stronger than me. Help that can keep me from emotional eating, help that can keep me from giving in and having that ice cream or that cake or that brownie or that cookie. I need something that can quiet my mind and put at me at ease when my Rider and Elephant are duking it out and are at odds with each other. I know that I can't do it all the time.

Someone once told me, if you think you're so powerful, then go out into the ocean and try to stop a wave. I don't know about you, but I know that I'm simply not able to stop a wave. And that's what it feels like when I'm having a sugar craving. It feels like I'm trying to stop the whole damned ocean. What if I just ask for help from whatever out there that is more powerful than me? What if that's you? Well, you are part of it anyway. When you tell me that you need help to avoid sugar, or carbs or fatty foods, or whatever, you're helping me. I know that I'm not alone. And I know that there's power in numbers. I know that together we are more powerful than my sugar craving.

 9/17/11

Nachos!
Parmesean crusted tilapia with capers and lemon butter served over grilled saquash and zuccini
A 10 oz. lamb burger (a delicious lamb burger, I might add!) on a whole wheat bun...with fries. A feat of wonderfulness from Five Napkin Burger. I swear, everything that came of the kitchen looked good. A dish of mac and cheese actually turned both my head and my boxing instructor's!
A little mixed greens salad.
I was too late for actual breakfast....luckily I had bought that weird granola bar at Starbucks. It was actually quite good.










 9/18/11

Frozen pasta with pesto and veggies from Trader Joe's with a side salad
Blueberry and lemon muffin. Damn my classmate for bringing yummy baked goods!!!
Real Panera Breakfast!!! It was the greatest, the guy who made it, even brought it to my table this morning. I love Panera.

No comments:

Post a Comment