Sunday, September 15, 2013

Impact on Others

I had this moment the other day...a moment that reminded me that we never know the impact that we have on the lives of others. I was talking with one of my students about how students in college are all trying to figure out who they are. Whether they are conscious of it or not. She tells me that she feels that she has a good handle on who she is but knows that that who she is will change over time. She recalled an identity exercise we did in class last fall...I barely remember the exercise! She spoke about how her understanding of herself seemed to gel with that exercise and has allowed her to reflect on how her identity has changed over the past year. I love the idea of exploring identity!

This conversation, however, has me interested in exploring the impact that my words and actions have on others...As my own 40th birthday is quickly approaching, I feel like I know myself. I know I'm entering a new phase in my life. I'm not certain what that will entail, but I know that new challenges and new adventures are in front of me.

Moving into my 40's is coming at a time when I'm entering a new phase in my career as well and will have the opportunity to impact the lives of others in new ways. It's time to think about how I can help to lift up other women, what I can do to further my own goals, and how I can bring these same practices into all areas of my life. What conscious effort can I make to further my meditation on this idea? What can I do to focus on what my impact may be? Do I know what I want my legacy to be?

 9/12/13

Greek yogurt and peaches
 mushroom risotto, corn, and mixed veggies
buffalo wings and mac & cheese








 9/13/13

Greek yogurt and berries
 salad and buffalo chicken pizza
 buffalo wings to share
burger with bacon and gouda, and fries








 9/14/13

First meal in Denver, CO

berries and pineapple for breakfast!
We went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant called Tamayo. Sadly, I think I was the only one who loved every bite of her meal. Others were underwhelmed, or did not enjoy the combination of flavors as much as they anticipated

 guacamole with chips and red and green salsa
 GRASSHOPPER!!!!!!!
 guacamole with spicy crab
 carne asada, black beans, green bean and cactus salad, and some sort of bacon-wrapped pepper stuffed with cheese
tower of fire-grilled veggies

No comments:

Post a Comment