Monday, October 15, 2012

Closer than I thought

I was having dinner with a friend last night and describing to her how I mark time these days: by moving past certain markers of responsibility.
  1. Staff retreat
  2. Vermont trip
  3. Freshman Seminar
  4. Thanksgiving
  5. Orlando trip
Five big things on my plate that are not school related, but make completing schoolwork difficult. The staff retreat is done. The Vermont trip is this weekend, but the hard part is done. Then, somewhere between that and Thanksgiving, my teaching will come to a close. Next, Thanksgiving. Actually, the holiday is more of a time marker than a marker of responsibility. Although, I'll be doing a huge amount of schoolwork that weekend and that's a big responsibility. Immediately after the holiday is my trip to Orlando, a vacation-pretend. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing some friends and visiting Disney, it is a work trip and I'll be bringing mucho mucho homework.

It occurred to me at dinner the other night though...really, I'm closer than I think to graduation! That this fall is going to serve as a great training for spring. That I'm going to need this struggle now because it will let me know that I can face the next one and better! I wondered if I can survive until May...just over 7 months. Do I have the energy for it??

When I look at it that way, in one giant chunk, no. But when I break it down, sure I do! First, I've got all these time markers through the fall term, right? They're already in place to help. Well, there's going to be 3 - 4 weeks between the semesters, so it's really only 6 months!! Look how much easier that just got! And spring term has this wonderful thing called spring break...a full week off school with nothing to do but work. The closer the spring term gets, the more likely that I'll have some natural time markers to help me break down that time even further to help it seem even more manageable. So, yeah. I really am closer than I thought!

And anytime you're wondering, you can always check out my 
 

 10/14/12

Breakfast at Panera
 Lunch at Panera...turkey harvest salad with pears, dried cherries, gorgonzola, and cherry vinaigrette
baby back ribs, greens and mac & cheese from Soul Fire












 10/15/12

yogurt and granola
 salad, pizza and diet cherry pepsi
chef salad, cake and there was a chai tea latte too

No comments:

Post a Comment