Monday, November 14, 2011

The parade

And this is what my eating SHOULD look like!! Well, you'll know what I mean when you see the photos. It's so much easier to eat healthy when I'm at work and that structure is just built into the day.

I don't have a lot to talk about tonight...I've got a whole bunch swirling 'round in my head, most of it is about school though. Not interesting...glass ceilings, cultural change within an organization, stuff like that. I did, however, make it to the gym today and I plan on going again tomorrow as well. Since I start my weeks on Mondays for the purpose of tracking goals, today marks 1/3 of the way there for the week's exercise goal! What a great start! Tomorrow, I'll be 2/3 of the way there! It may not sound exciting to you, but to me, it's like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one.

Seriously, though, I really do have all this mish-mash of stuff rolling around in my head...like my own little entertainment factory. Luckily, most of it is other people's drama. I don't envy them though. The choices they face. J asked me tonight why I was on the verge of tears at her story...I can't help it! I get so emotionally caught up in her stories of can't-live-without-you-love...who wouldn't!? I don't know about you, but the gym really helps me to focus when my head gets all this clutter in it. Trust me, my own mental drama is never so interesting as J's or A's...but it's definitely more distracting, just because it's mine.

Regardless of how interesting or dull my mental drama is, I need my head to quiet down sometimes. I like to call it 'the parade', because it's like this parade of characters that rolls on through without rhyme or reason. They say you can't control your thoughts....right? Well, for me, I need a break from the parade once in a while. Sometimes I get this through meditation (read: sitting still with eyes closed and just breathe for 5 minutes or more), but mostly it's through exercise or playing with my cat. It's anything that keeps me and my head in the moment. It's being focused on whatever I'm doing, being engaged with whoever I'm with, it's being present. My newest thing I'm trying is listening to music in other languages. It's hard to get caught up in anything but the sound of the voices and the emotions that they evoke when you have no clue what they're saying. Sometimes I can actually tune it out enough for it to just be background.

It doesn't really matter how I quiet my mind as long as I do. That mental peace is part of an all-around healthy lifestyle. Being healthy doesn't just mean taking care of ourselves physically, it's also taking care of ourselves mentally and emotionally. So, how do you take care of yourself mentally and emotionally?



Back on the corn...Orville Redenbacher's Smart Pop 100 calorie pack...not as good as the really bad for you popcorn that I love, but it's good.


An interesting and yummy dinner concoction...chicken, corn, pinto beans, onions, red peppers, a little chili powder, garlic powder, medium salsa and a little low fat cheese


Normally, I do not photograph my beverages, but this just felt like dessert...OJ with seltzer water, my own little virgin mimosa!


Afternoon snack...I was soooo hungry today! One of my student employees was in my office when I devoured this. She said that after yesterday's hike, my body is repairing itself and it needs energy to do that. She's right. My body was sore sore sore today!


Pizza...'nuff said.  And a big salad


Pretty normal breakfast. I'm hoping for milk tomorrow. Cereal is just not the same in yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment