Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Managing Stress

It's being a long week. You know the kind I mean...long stressful days and at the end, all you want to sit on the couch and eat ice cream. Yup. A long long week. Busy too.

Why so busy? May 1 is tomorrow. In case you don't know, I work in higher ed and the incoming freshmen have a May 1 deadline to commit to the college of their choice. Admissions folks at colleges nationwide are on the edge of their seats wondering what their new class is going to look like. I'm on the edge of my seat knowing that this is one of my first tests. These days, financial aid plays such a large part in a student's and family's decision that the office's role has become more crucial than ever in recruiting efforts. From there, it can be assumed that if we do not bring in the desired class, that I played some role in not making our goal. Scary thought. No wonder I've been exhausted and moody.

Stress...good in small doses, life-saving even. However, prolonged exposure is not good. Just not good. Symptoms rear their ugly heads in many ways...physical, emotional, cognitive, and behavioral. It affects everything! It's no wonder that I want to sit at home and eat ice cream.

So, what to do about it? Well, tonight, I need sleep. I will be doing that soon. Exercise, meditation, time with friends and family, breathing deeply, positive self-talk (yeah, sounds corny, I know...), and eating healthy. So am I doing any of it? Sure...but not enough, which is why I'll be going to sleep a bit early tonight. Just like any other aspect of self-care, managing stress is about knowing yourself, recognizing what you need, and then taking positive and healthy action.

So what about when you don't take positive healthy action? First and foremost, don't beat yourself up. You don't have to have an all or nothing kind of day. Have a good enough day. Do what you can, when you can. Some days it will be more, some days it will be less. And that's OK.

 4/28/14

BBQ chicken and corn
Yummy Indian nom noms!












 4/29/14

turkey sammy & fruit
mandarin orange chicken from Trader Joe's, rice and broccoli











4/30/14

cheese ravioli, cukes & red peppers, and fruit
Mmm, cheeseburger and fries, salad and an Oreo milkshake!

1 comment:

  1. You're doing a great job! Plus you're awesome, so how about that!

    ReplyDelete