Saturday, April 19, 2014

Checkpoints

I've made an executive decision. It's been so long since I've written...too long. And I'm just not going to go back and post all those photos. So. There you have it. It's a bit of a fresh start tonight. And besides, my food isn't usually all that interesting anyway.

In the meantime, I've been trying to find balance in my life. I've had next to none for quite some time now. The new job is still good, but it is taking over my life. Lately, I've had to schedule in time to breathe! So, instead of working non-stop, I'm trying to make an effort to leave at a decent hour and go to the gym and see my friends, and get to sleep at a decent hour. As part of these efforts, I've managed to make a few outdoor runs...culminating with my first race of the year!

I ran the B.A.A. 5K today, the first race of this year's Distance Medley. My runs have been in the 3 mile range and now it's time to work up to 6 miles to prepare for the 10K in June. Last, it will be the half marathon in October.

How will I know when I've found balance? I don't know...well, not exactly. But I do know that my head is generally more quiet, I'm less tired, and I feel less wound up. I guess I'll know I'm getting there by noticing checkpoints...weightloss from exercise, the lack of the desire to eat chocolate, the re-invigoration of my social life. The more checkpoints I reach, the closer I am to having a decent balance in my life. I don't know how many I'll need. I may not even know when I reach one, or when I achieve balance. Does it matter as long as I'm moving in the right direction?

So you see, these upcoming races are planned checkpoints along the path to reclaiming my life and my free time. Not all markers of time are so easily planned, but few are as rewarding as accomplishing the challenge of running a half marathon AND achieving balance in my life.

4/19/14

See, I told you that my food isn't all that interesting...buffalo chicken pizza and salad after the race.

Actually, after the race, I had brunch and gourmet cocoa...this was after my nap but before the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment