Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston in Crisis

It's been a tough couple of days in Boston. The explosions at the Boston Marathon yesterday have caused a somber mood to descend upon the city. It's odd, the day went from celebratory to terror-struck in a matter of moments. I'm very grateful that I was not in the city yesterday, but that in itself is strange too. I don't even know how to describe the feeling that's left when you're not there to be with your friends during and after a crisis.

I'm very grateful that those in charge are taking all necessary steps to investigate and protect Boston. The FBI, ATF, Boston Police, the Army, and the Sercret Service are all here...probably some other organizations that I've left out too. I'm very grateful that casualties were minimal and that Boston is a tough, resilient town. I'm very grateful that I was able to ask for a hug when I needed it yesterday. I'm very grateful that I didn't have to be tough...and that's not easy for me to do, so I'm even more grateful that the people around me were able and willing to take care of me when I needed it. Thank you.

I will say that I made an executive decision and determined that it was OK to eat pizza in the middle of a terrorist attack. From now on, that will be my Pizza Clause. I'm kinda back on track today, but not really. Tomorrow, I'll eat the way I'm supposed to. Actually, tomorrow is the new designated day for starting to add lean protein back into my diet. I have class tomorrow night, so maybe I'll get some eggs for breakfast or just wait until Friday when I don't have class?


 4/13/13

fruit cup from Starbucks
 savory chicken with snap peas and cauliflower
 mushroom risotto and hodgepodge veggies with a delicious cinnamon-y chai tea!












 4/14/13

 My 5K day...I crossed the Boston Marathon finish line for my race.

pasta fagioli and cauliflower (the cauliflower was still frozen, so I didn't eat it until dinner)

I also ate "out of the box" on this day...a Dole fruit cup, a King's Hawaiian roll, a PowerBar gu banana blueberry thing and a small pack of Bear Naked granola - it's what they gave us at the race.

 tukey chili with broccoli and caulflower












 4/15/13

The day started out good...I knew that I would have trouble getting all my shakes in, so I had cereal in the morning before getting on the commuter rail
 Greek salad at Panera, large fruit cup from Au Bon Pain and an apple that I fed to Maxine, the puppy
 pasta fagioli, spaghetti squash, and 2 cups of California blend veggies

At this point, I had found out about the explosions and was hungry since it was dinner time.
And here's where I went off the tracks...by now, I've had a crying break down and am hungry all over again. The timing of being hungry didn't make sense, but when you consider the rush of adrenaline, fear, and shock at the explosions, I guess it makes sense.

Pizza and wings







 4/16/13

When I knew I would not be able to get back to Boston last night, I went to a grocery store to buy some food that I would be allowed to eat.
 I did make it home when the commuter rail was reopened this morning around 9:30. My first train option was right around 11am...a very nice woman brought a homemade lasagna to my friend's house last night. I elected to eat some when I got home...along with a pint of Ben & Jerry's

Needless to say, I ingested far too many calories today. BUT, on the plus side, I did go to the gym and ran for an hour.
 savory chicken and mixed vegetables with spicy peanut sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment